After coming in eighth at the finish line of a Japanese GP characterized by rain, Fabio Di Giannantonio said he was very satisfied with the result he brought home, as well as with his overall performance, which could get him a confirmation for 2024.
“I'm always competitive when it’s wet,” he said. “This year at Silverstone, as well, I finished first in the FP3, with almost a second of a margin on the second rider. Overall, we’re well placed in both conditions. I’m still very happy today because we had an excellent performance.”
Despite the comforting outcome, not everything went smoothly. “In the first five laps, I had a problem, which I won’t say, and that prevented me from pushing on the front. Too bad. Without this setback, I could’ve done even better. That said, as a team, we did a good job. It’s another top ten that’s useful to bring positive energy for the upcoming races.”
The bad weather led the stewards to decide to interrupt the race early, since the conditions were becoming too dangerous to continue. But, for the rider from Rome, poor visibility wasn’t really concerning. “I struggled a bit, but I know I have the best helmet in the world,” he said, and also confirmed that he’s happy with the type of set up chosen.
Therefore, looking to the future and Marc Marquez’s possible arrival in Gresini Racing, Diggia minimized the risks of being left without a bike. To those who asked him what his relationship with Lucio Cecchinello was like in the event of his transition to the CSF, the 24-year-old said: “I get along with the entire paddock. So, if that opportunity were to arise, I’d take it without hesitation. Honda is suffering, but it’s one of the largest motorcycle manufacturers in the world, and the impasse won’t last forever. For now, I’m focused on my team, trying to give it my all. Nothing has been decided. I’d like to continue with Ducati but, if that’s not possible, I’ll look for another solution.” Lastly, he talked about a hypothetical return to the Moto 2, and said: “My goal is to stay in the MotoGP. If that’s not possible, I’ll consider my options.”