The Covid epidemic in France is reaching a new peak and the government yesterday announced drastic new measures to contain it: schools closed and red zone across the country. Which means that the Le Mans Grand Prix, scheduled for May 16, could be at risk. In recent weeks this possibility has been doing the rounds in the paddock and Dorna is logically preparing a plan B should it be forced to cancel the race.
At first it seemed that there was a desire to double up with the Jerez round, but this would have meant further increasing the number of GPs in Spain, which can already boast four events on the calendar.
The alternative, which is being discussed in these days, is to organize two races in Italy, at Mugello. The Tuscan GP is in fact scheduled after the French one and a date could therefore quite easily be added, perhaps May 23, a week before the one already confirmed for the Italian race.
Of course it's not that simple, the Italian racetrack last year had already backed down, not being able to host the public and two GPs also mean higher costs. It is also true that an Italian 'double-header' would be a formidable showcase for Aprilia and Ducati.
It’s an idea, now we will have to wait to find out if it will be realized or not.